Saturday, March 15, 2014

SLLC

This was my first time every attending SLLC. I never went as a student, and now I got to experience it as an agricultural educator. It was a really cool experience, really tiring! I thought I was going to have downtime to work on lesson plans and the grading I brought with me....nope, it was basically go go go!

I really enjoyed talking with the other teachers, which can be found in my other blog about the professional activities that I attended.

The community service was an interesting experience. My bus had a lot of musical talent, courtesy of Mike's cooperating school, Cowanesque Valley. A lot of the boys had been in a musical together so they kept breaking out into songs from that as well as a variety of country songs. One of the boys, is actually the younger brother of a friend of mine from college. I asked him if she was his sister and he gave me the weirdest look, it was quite comical. He then introduced himself. I said my name was Ms. Case, then I said, Jeanne, then I was not really sure as to what I should call myself. I never know if I should call myself Ms. Case or Jeanne when introducing myself to students that aren't mine. Mike and I also got the job of washing the stairways.

I was thoroughly impressed with the speed of service at Hoss's. We were lucky to have been the first bus that got there and we got out of there in record time as well. On the bus, I tried to get one of my girls to sing along with the boys, but she was not into that. The dance was fun. I enjoy having my own little dance party in the back of the room with the other student teachers. SLLC was really different from ACES in this regard because all of my PSO friends were not there to dance with and the students that I brought are not the ones that enjoy when I make a fool out of myself and dance with them. So instead Cassidy and I line danced by ourselves in the back of the room.

After the dance and reflections, I helped out with courtesy corps again. It was a good experience, working with seasoned ag teachers and hearing stories of different teaching experiences. It is also good to hear how to correctly tell students to be quiet.

Tuesday morning was fun as well. I got to see some of my Farm Bureau Friends again, and it was great to watch the students interact with the legislators. The room was packed with blue jackets. It was wonderful. I actually sat with Abby's group of students since mine was full and I got to talk to them about the FACE conference and ag ed since one of the girls will be going to Del Val for it.

The truly great thing, was talking with the girls about what they got out of the experience and what they learned. They really got a lot out of it and can see how what they learned related to them. The one girl wants to get so involved now. She wants to run for the state officer nominating committee this year, state officer later. She wants the Dover chapter to start doing more community service. It was great! She got good things from the conferences and this is what the conferences are all about, what they are for.

1 comment:

  1. SLLC is always a very interesting experience and oh so different from ACES. Glad you had such a great time. AS for getting time to grade papers, the only way to do this is to hide in your room and I do NOT recommend that. To much sharing occurs when you are with the other teachers.

    ReplyDelete