Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Demonstration Lab

ENTHUSIASM! This is what I need to work on. Unfortunately , this is something that I always need to work on. Even this summer when I was working at the youth conference that Pennsylvania Farm Bureau hosted, students asked me if I was having fun and enjoyed being there. I was really confused by the comment since I was having a blast... I was out of the office and I was working with students. My concentrating face or relaxed face is really bland and I often look bored or angry. I need to work on reassuring my students that I am happy to be there and excited to teach. This is something that I really need to work on and change as I move forward with the semester and my teaching career. Please give me tips on how I can look outwardly enthused.

For my demonstration I taught the class how to measure a cylinder bore with a telescoping gauge and a micrometer. In the essence of time I just did the bellwork and the demonstration. We went over the procedure page where I had the students take turns reading the directions out loud. I also made a student read the objectives on the board. I wanted to get a lot of the class participating and keep all the students engaged. After we read the directions as a class in their seats I had the students come up front and each measure a section of the bore. There were three students in the class and there needs to be six measurements in the bore. The each took turns measuring and recording their measurements. Looking back I would have one student come up and explain how to do it to another student or me, before having the whole class do it together. This is something I can approve on in the spring.

The aspects of the lesson that I liked was that all the students talked in my class whether that was reading the directions or answering questions. To end the demonstration I asked the students questions to see if they understood the lesson. Mike raised his hand first both times so I called on him. Instead, I should have waited longer to give the other students an opportunity to process the question and formulate an answer.

10 comments:

  1. Its tough to show enthusiasm when you have to really get in depth with a lesson, Jeanne. I feel as if we all struggle to an extent with enthusiasm because we can't always find that happy medium between being Dr. Foster (super enthusiastic) and just another boring teacher. I think with time we can start to act this way, but we still aren't really too sure what the students will react too. I thought you engaged the students really well, and got participation very high. One thought I had was to make it more relevant to the students and connect more ideas to why we were measuring the bore in the small engine. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne!! From your (short) lab video, it seemed you were trying to keep the class engaged, as you were maintaining communication with Mike and the students.. while you don't always smile/look excited, I know you enjoy being there by your interactions with the students and your voice. So maybe focus on how you can increase student success through interaction rather than expecting yourself, your face, and personality to become a giant shining sun all the time? I would be careful with taking responses, however, as it seemed you took them too quickly, which maybe reflected lack of confidence in asking the question? Know your stuff, know your room, trust yourself, then you will have lots of room to get enthused and reach student success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeanne,
    I think you should just keep hanging around Emily. :) She does a great job with enthusiasm even when she is not trying. If you haven't read "Teach Like a Pirate", I HIGHLY recommend it. By reading this book, you will learn to just have fun in the classroom and use your imagination. Everyone makes mistakes, so if you get nervous about making a mistake, just forget it and let the fun begin!!!



    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeanne,
    Jump on the band wagon, I seem to be having the EXACT same problem. I am extremely happy and excited to finally be teaching, however my lessons never show that. I really wish I could help you, but maybe we can figure out how to improve on that together. You seem to have had the lesson well planned and executed.
    I guess the take away message is we just have to keep working at it! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enthusiasm I defiantly something that I think many of us need to work on. It is often difficult when trying to get our information out to maintain the happy vibe. I think as we become better at the teaching labs that we will be able to work on our demeanor.
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanne,
    I honestly thought enthusiasm was going to be the easiest part of teaching, however, much like you, I have quickly learned that is not the case. I get so caught up in what I need to accomplish in the short time frame that I forget to lighten up and show my enthusiasm. I wish I had some really good pointers for you, but all I have is to be confident in your material that you are presenting so you can allow yourself time to work on your demeanor. Personally, if I take the time to be completely confident in the material, I find it easier to be enthusiastic about the lesson! It will come with time, just know that you aren't the only one struggling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our faces say a lot about us! Students can pick up on it and will feed directly off of us. You'll quickly learn this when you teach every day! Keeping all the students engaged is extremely important. As we look towards the future, always keep in mind the importance of the three steps in the demonstration process. We can't forget that repetition is important.

    As far as enthusiasm, I don't want to tell you to always plaster a smile on your face. That just looks fake. However, ask and talk to your students. Show you are engaged and care. Think of Foster while he teaches... A little over the top, eh? He exudes enthusiasm though. Try it sometime. Go a little crazy and you'll see how students positively respond to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeanne,

    I find that 'wait time' tough as a teacher. It is so tempting to just call on the eager student, and this is something I need to work on as well. It is about clearly thinking about this that will allow us to improve.

    As far as enthusiasm, I have seen have seen A LOT of enthusiasm from you at many different times. So... remember, enthusiasm takes energy/ conscious effort. Take me for example, I am often viewed as being an enthusiastic person, but there are many times that I am NOT, as you know from knowing me well. All this means is that you can TOTALLY easily add enthusiasm with practice and conscious effort :) Keep it up and nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jeanne,
    I think we are all in the same boat when it comes to showing enthusiasm! I feel that this is in part to being so focused on completing the demonstration successfully and trying to remembering to manage our classroom that it just gets over looked. great refection and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanne,
    Good job on your blog. I would agree with you and needing to be more enthusiastic, at least at times. I agree with Emily, I know you have it in you since ive seen it at times, just bring it out, even if its just cracking your big smile that you have at times. That will make you look like you are having some fun, that you are impressed with the students at the things they are doing, and approachable by the students because you look happy! As for the wait time with answering questions, if that is giving you problems and you are just calling on the first hand that is always up quickly, maybe you could try calling on a student first and then asking them specifically the question. If they cant formulate an answer or at least a guess, call on another student after a few seconds. You got this!!!

    ReplyDelete