Saturday, February 8, 2014

Week 3 - Anyone want a snow day?

Monday - snow day

Tuesday - 2 hour delay. I got to teach my first shortened class period. Today it was only 60 minutes rather than the usual 87 or 77. It went well, I believe that I should make guided notes for some of my powerpoint slides since I had to wait a while for all of the students to finish taking their notes before I switched to the next slide. We were working on learning about FFA. A cool thing is that I have the chapter president in my leadership class so I had her talk about when meetings are and some of the opportunities that Dover FFA has. I moved the seating around so the group of boys would be separated. I got more discussion out of them but I also noticed that they started to text each other in class which will be addressed next Monday when I see them in class the next time.

Wednesday - Snow day

Thursday - 2 hour delay, then snow day, then teachers can come in for the prep period that was originally taken away from them in the beginning of the semester. They get paid to be at school for three hours today. I started off the day talking to Mr. Stollar about the horticultural class that I will be starting this coming Monday. Due to all of the snow days, I will be starting before he starts his other unit since he just finished his first unit. Thankfully the class is really flexible and I can start teaching with the timeline that was created for me during the summer. The 8th grade class may have to be pushed back a little due to all the snow days in order for Mrs. B to catch up a little bit.

Mrs. B and I traveled up to State College after we were finished at the school to get started with judging record books for the state. Dover has four student record books sent into the contest.

Friday - I spent today in the Super 8 Motel Judging Record books. I got to meet a lot of different teachers from across the state and catch up with friends. It was a really good experience to see exactly HOW the record books are judged. This will really help me out when I am teaching. I now have the background knowledge to be able to aid my students so they are able to fill out the books correctly and get the maximum amount of points for all the work they have done. It was interesting how some teachers even still ask sometimes, why do we do this? It was helpful to listen to the discussion among the teachers and see what they had to say about the different kinds of record books and what cool things their students do. I think it would be great to have a nature photography record book!

Fellow cohort member, Emily Urban, grades record books

2 comments:

  1. Good job Jeanne. interesting reading. Glad you enjoyed the record book contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne, I look forward to hearing about your Teaching Success this week!

    maximize the moment!

    ReplyDelete