Friday, February 28, 2014

Week 6

Monday -  Horticulture class went well. There was a student that did not want to participate again, but we worked through it. The students conducted hydroponic water tests and we analyzed them to see if they are suitable to grow our plants in hydroponically. We had a good discussion that tied in everything that we have been talking about thus far.

Leadership - today I had a work day, the students peer reviewed each others speeches, learned how to work echalk and worked on other homework for the class. I gave them ample opportunities to ask me questions or voice concerns about the class that they may have. I did not receive any type of those things. My student teaching time has been pretty easy since my students have not been hanging in their homework. They are going to get a glimpse of mean Jeanne tomorrow so they know that I ma serious about making my assignments count and if they do not hand them in, they will fail the class.

Ag Mech went well. The students continued to work on their welding and we started reminding them to bring engines in to work on for next week.



Tuesday - Horticulture class went really well today. We had a inquiry-ish lesson today. We were creating primitive hydroponic systems like that the Aztecs did. I gave them directions, but I changed some of the supplies based on what we had available in the shop. Some of the students followed the directions, some of them tried their own version of the project. The students were a little frustrated initially that it was not all laid out for them, but as the class period went on they got more creative and I believe were really enjoying the work. Only about a third of the groups finished, so we will be finishing it up before class another day this week. I think it was really good for them to be able work through the problem themselves and complete the trial and error since that is what they will have to do in the real world. They need to learn how to figure things out for themselves.

Leadership - Today I had to be a little grumpy with the class and put their nose to the grind. I am having problems with students completing their homework at home. They just don't hand their assignments in and thus, are doing bad in the class. I have them their grades today, which lit the fire under some of their butts. I told them that I would work with them during homeroom or during 5th period, but that they had to schedule it with me and that I would not hound them down to make sure they had everything. They are in high school and they need to have that own personal responsibility to make sure they are passing their classes.

Ag mechanics went well. One of the students said I was cool. I keep teasing two of the students telling them that they better pay attention to my small gas engines lessons so they will be able to get first place in the small gas engines career development event.

Wednesday - In horticulture class we went to a local nursery. At the nursery students were able to learn about potential job opportunities and see what what we are talking about in class REALLY does relate to the outside world. We recently talked about pH in class and the nursery owner asked questions and talked about how important it was for them to keep track of pH in their operation. I will discuss with my students tomorrow about what we learned there. I really want them to see that connection and why, I do what I do. The students behaved really well during the trip. I kept track of who asked questions about what and how many times they spoke.

Leadership - we went over the POA today and created committees in class. For the powerpoint introduction for the POA I had one of my squirmy students be my clicker to change slides. This really helped him out, however, I did have to actually yell in class today because the individual kept taking his friends stuff and was out of his seat when he was not supposed to. I am going to have a chat with him tomorrow to let him know that it is not acceptable behavior and he will get morning detention if he does not shape up.

Thursday - Horticulture - Apparently today was the day to miss. I had four students missing. Today we reviewed what we learned from the field trip and talked about how what we are learning in class related to it. After that we headed out to the greenhouse for some students to finish their chinampas (Aztec hydroponic systems). Groups that finished early work on transplanting the geraniums that we got yesterday from Trail Nursery. They learned how to properly prepare the soil for transplanting, making sure it was moist but not too wet, how to break up the bottoms of the plug trays then transplant them into the larger pots. I taught a set of three students how to do all the steps first. I then traveled around the room and worked with various groups of students at different stages. Later in the class period I heard the first group that I taught explain to another group how to transplant.... and they did it perfectly. It make me really happy how well they were listening. The class went well, they followed all the procedures correctly, cleaned up, and had three minutes remaining before the bell rang. We went over what we were going to do tomorrow, and if they finished their class work efficiently then we would have more time in the greenhouse.

Leadership: Today we finished the reading of Wilber and Orville Wright. The students took their last quiz and most of them finished it in two minutes (they're crazy). We then had another Socratic seminar. These are really interesting because it forces the students to answer the round robin questions. There was not as much individual participation, but that will come with time I guess. I am thinking about assigning other reading assignments so we can have more class discussions and see if we can get more people to participate.

Ag Mechanics - I worked more with the students on their welds and discussed what they did wrong and correct. I think that I am gaining good rapport with them despite not being their main teacher. I am glad that they have opened up to me a little more as the weeks have gone by since I think that will make it easier to transition to being the teacher next week.

Friday - Horticulture- today we went over different hydroponic systems then went to the greenhouse. I assigned groups today so the students could get use to working with other people. I did not have many issues while they were working with each other. One student did not really want to participate but I will keep working on him. After the students presented with their groups about the different systems, we went to the greenhouse to continue transplanting. One student was just kind of standing there and I asked him if he wanted a job. He said that he did, so I sent him back to work with another student and fill pots. That was the first time that the student seemed actually interested to be in class. I am hoping that it will continue as class goes on and he becomes more engaged and will eventually become active in FFA.

Leadership class - today we messed with AET. I really should have spent some more time on the system before trying to explain it to the students. We got a decent amount accomplished, but I did not feel as prepared as I could have been. I also wish that I would have talked with my teacher a little more about what she wanted them to complete or leave alone. One of the students thought it was "cool" that I was not even facing him and still saw that he took some thing from one of his friends. I told him to give it back and he is like but, uh what? How did you see that?? You were not even facing my direction!. Muahahaha I have teacher eyes now, so he better watch out. Only three students sent me their speeches for me to review, so I hope that everyone else is prepared for Tuesday and Wednesday next week when we will be going over speeches in the class. Ohh and a student made me so proud today. I asked one to help one of their table group mates with AET and he did! Without complaining! And he was really nice about it! That is something that really makes me happy.

Ag Mechanics - the students started to bring in their engines today. Others have again been showing me their welds and talking about them.

2 comments:

  1. Jeanne.

    I love that you are developing "teacher eyes". Thank you for the in depth reflection!

    Keep focusing on bell to bell engagement and instructional variability.

    Foster

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a full week of school and a good week to boot. Developing teacher eyes and voice are a necessity so I am so glad that this is happening early on in your career, I am looking forward to seeing your hydroponic systems. After we got ours started students would always start to ask, "what would happen if ..." A perfect opportunity to do some experimentation.

    ReplyDelete