Thursday, September 26, 2013

Interest Approach

Wednesday I woke up not feeling my best, stuffy nose and head, hot and cold, but I knew that I had to go to school to present my lesson to the class. I am sure this will not be the last time I will feel this way and still have to "go to work". It is something that all teachers go through and I witnessed it earlier this week when I went to observe ESL students at State High. On Tuesday, the teacher apologized to her students that she could not project her voice as well because she had a cold.. I didn't realize she was feeling poorly until she said that. Teachers will become the best of 'fake it until you make it'. This is something that I am sure I will accomplish along my career.

The reason for the first paragraph was because I was a little lack luster during my interest approach. I could have been more upbeat which would have made the students more upbeat. As told to me earlier in the week, lab is a place to see if my interest approach works or not. After having presented mine, I feel that it is more of an activity rather than an interest approach. I will probably change it for something else when I am teaching the agronomy unit in the spring.

After re-watching my video I realized that I only gave auditory instruction rather than pairing it with visual. I need to change this to make it easier for the students to learn in my classroom. Not everyone learns the same way, so I need to make sure that I am addressing as many modalities as possible. The part that I liked from my presentation is that I called on students that were more quiet and not offering answers from the get go. I believe it is important to get everyone involved in the lesson to maximize learning potential. 

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jeanne,

    You did a great job with this reflection. I had no clue you were feeling under the weather until I read this in your blog.

    You are spot on that the key to being well rounded is to hit variability in the head. Furthermore, just being excited will really liven up the class atmosphere. I don't think its fair to push that since you were not feeling well.

    Keep it up and get well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you concocted your lesson back to our other courses. Also that even though an activity my be short it is still important to include variability so that directions are delivered clearly to all your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne
      I think you did a great job of "faking it" during your interest approach. I also think it is ok to be frazzled sometimes, we are new at this. I think your interest approach would make a better activity then an interest approach. There are so many options and things you can expand upon with this. Another question I asked myself was if it was really grasping the students interest and getting them excited for the rest of the lesson or just jumping right in. All in all I think this is a great idea and I will probably steal it for one of my lessons.

      Delete
  3. Jeanne,
    I understand the crappy feeling moments... but we are AG TEACHERS and SUPERHEROES! Sickness won't ever get us down!! Just kidding, but really, I know that ag teachers probably don't take nearly as many sick days as other teachers, so good reflection on that. I also like that you watched your video before reflecting in this blog - keep up the great reflecting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeanne,

    I liked your starting thoughts for this blog! We are tough! Anyway, I'm a little confused on what your interest approach actually was, so maybe include that in your blog briefly. That would be super awesome :)

    Otherwise, I really liked your comment on choosing students that weren't so eager to offer answers! Sometimes it's tempting to accidentally put more attention on the forward students. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete